97.5 Y-Country Medical Minute - The Importance of Early Prenatal Care
97.5 Y-Country Medical Minute – The Importance of Early Prenatal Care
The key to a successful pregnancy and delivery is prenatal care. This week’s Y-Country Medical Minute quickly discusses the importance of early prenatal care.
What is Prenatal Care?
Prenatal care is medical care an expectant mother receives during pregnancy. At each prenatal care visit, the healthcare provider monitors the maternal and fetal wellbeing.
Prenatal care allows the provider to:
- Provide the expectant mother information on suggested healthy behaviors;
- Educate the expectant mother on what to expect during and after pregnancy;
- Detect early signs of potential complications.
Timely and adequate prenatal care not only creates a positive impact on infant health but also plays a significant role in post-partum maternal health.
Why Prenatal Care?
Prenatal care can:
- Reduce risk of pregnancy complications;
- Provide insight into the baby’s development;
- Provide important nutritional information for following a healthy diet;
- Allow the mother to take important tests to ensure both mother and baby are healthy;
- Prepare the mother and her family for labor and delivery.
When Should I Begin Prenatal Care?
Prenatal care should ideally start before pregnancy. An appointment should be scheduled as soon as the pregnancy has been confirmed. The first visit should be schedule before the 12th week of pregnancy if possible.
Y-Country Medical Minute
Tune in to the Y-Country Medical Minute brought to you by Cassopolis Family Clinic Network every Monday morning at 8:40 on 97.5 Y Country, during the Matt Malone Morning Show.