Call us: (269) 445-3874

Our History

50th Anniversary logo for Cass Family Clinic Network
About CFCN page link
Our History page link
Our Future page link
Our Community page link
Our history header
The medical practice now known as Cassopolis Family Clinic was just a dream in 1958. A group of Cassopolis business leaders had the vision of creating a family medical practice to serve the community in 1958. They committed to the idea, garnered community support, raised money, built a building and recruited doctors to town. 50 years later, Cassopolis Family Clinic Network honors those community leaders, who we fondly refer to as our “Founding Fathers”, by sharing their vision of affordable, accessible healthcare for the entire community. Throughout the years, the ownership of the practice has changed, as has the name. But one thing has remained constant. The dedicated Board of Directors, physicians and staff remain committed to serving the community.

1958 – A group of business leaders from Cassopolis created the vision for a family practice to serve the community. The leaders included Tom
McCauslin, George Gohn, Sam Hansen, Frank Woods, Leo (Mack) Cropsey, and others.
1960 – A small medical clinic was completed. Recruitment of Family Physicians began in earnest.
1964 – Drs. Aaron Warren and Lowell Smith were recruited to the Clinic. Dr. Warren was instrumental in recruiting more physicians to the community, and for creating 24-hour physician coverage in the Niles Hospital Emergency Department.
1975 – A second Cass Medical Clinic site was established in Niles at the Bell Plaza.
1975 – Dr. Neil See joined Cass Medical Clinic straight out Family Practice Residency training.
1981 – Cass Medical Clinic moved to 60 N. St. Joseph Avenue in Niles, and later split into two businesses; Immediate Care Center (Cassopolis) and Niles Immediate Care.
1992 – In Cassopolis, the Immediate Care Center became a certified Rural Health Clinic. An Advisory Board of Directors was created, including Robert Feldman, Don Gast, Shirley Lee, David O’Connor and Joseph Underwood.
1993 – Lakeland Regional Health System purchased ICC, renaming the office Lakeland Immediate Care Center.
1996 – The Clinic name changed to Lakeland Family Clinic.
1997 – Dr. Warren retired after providing medical care to the community for 33 years.
2004 – Lakeland Family Clinic became Cassopolis Family Clinic
2005 – Cassopolis Family Clinic (CFC) became a Federally Qualified Health Center Look-Alike.
2007 – CFC became a Federally funded Community Health Center 330(e) grantee.
2007 – CFC opened a second site in Niles to offer Obstetrics and Gynecology.
2008 – CFC legally separated from Lakeland Regional Health System.
2009 – CFC added Maternal Infant Health Services.
2009 – CFC entered into an agreement with the Cass/Van Buren District Health Department for the provision of dental services.
2011 – CFC entered into a behavioral health integration model with Woodlands Behavioral Healthcare Network.
2012 – CFC was awarded a $4.4 million dollar Capital Development grant from HRSA to construct a new Community Health Center facility. The new clinic will be built at 261 M-62 North and open in summer 2014.
2013 – CFC broke ground on a 30,000 sq. ft. building to be completed fall 2014.
2014 – CFC became the Cassopolis Family Clinic Network.
2014 – CFCN celebrated its 50th year of service to the community.
2014 – CFCN added a primary care office in Niles, MI, Niles Community Health Center.
2014 – CFCN added a School-Based Health Center in Ross Beatty Jr./Sr. High School, Ranger Wellness Center.
2014 – CFCN opened its new Cassopolis Family Clinic facility at 261 M-62 North.

 

This health center is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b, and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233(g)-(n).